Two people are being treated for symptoms

Two people are being treated for symptoms

 

Close contacts of people linked to a meningitis outbreak in Reading, in which a student died, are being offered antibiotics as a precaution. Two other young people are being treated after at least one case was confirmed as meningitis B (MenB), which was linked to a cluster of fatal cases in Kent earlier this year.

It is understood that the most recent case in Berkshire is not the same strain of MenB linked to the outbreaks in Kent in March. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said risk to the public currently remains low.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the UKHSA said that its specialists were “working with local authority and NHS partners following three cases of meningococcal infection (meningitis) in young people in Reading”. According to a GP surgery based in Henley-on-Thames, the person who died with suspected meningitis was a student at Henley College in Oxfordshire.

It is understood that the other two cases are linked to schools in the Reading area. “Dear patients. We have been in contact with the UK Health Security Agency this morning (14th May) regarding the very sad news that a student at Henley College has died with suspected meningococcal disease,” the Hart Surgery said in a statement on Thursday evening.

“They have confirmed that they are actively contacting those who may be at risk due to a close association with the student involved. If you have not been contacted by the UK Health Security Agency, then currently you do not require any treatment. Staff and students have been advised they can attend the college as usual.

“The number of confirmed cases is very low so there are currently no plans for a local emergency meningitis vaccination programme.”

Henley College, in Henley-on-Thames, is a sixth-form college with more than 2,000 full-time students which teaches more than 60 A-level subjects and vocational diplomas, according to its website. On Thursday, Dr Paddy Woodman, director of student services at the University of Reading, said: “While there are no reported cases among University of Reading students, I know that our students, staff and family members may be concerned.

“We will be contacting students to remind them of existing information about looking out for signs of meningitis, and the importance of acting immediately on any worrying symptoms, as well as checking their vaccination status.”

Two students died in a meningitis outbreak in the Kent area in March – 18-year-old Juliette Kenny, who was described by her family as “fit, healthy and strong” before her death, and a University of Kent student. Dr Rachel Mearkle, consultant in health protection, said: “We understand that many people will be affected by this sad news and would like to offer our condolences to the friends and family of this student.

Continue reading by clicking the ( NEXT 》 ) button below!